Exchange Program at Aberystwyth University in Wales
The English Department at Auburn University has created an Exchange Program with Aberystwyth University in Wales (United Kingdom). This program is specific to Graduate Students (PhD level).
- Students must receive English Department approval before applying
- Students must hold a Graduate Teaching Assistantship (GTA) with the English Department
- Aberystwyth requires completion of their online application.
- 18 Jan 2016: Date students must be in country
- 25 Jan 2016: Date classes begin
- 28 May 2016: Date classes and examinations end
Complete English course listings posted at http://courses.aber.ac.uk/browser/english/
Equivalent courses will vary by year, but past course equivalents were as follows (Aberystwyth course listed first, followed by the Auburn equivalent):
- Q3550 (Dissertation): ENGL 8990 (Dissertation) [English currently has a course proposal for a distance version of 8990, numbered 8996. Once this receives approval, students studying abroad would receive credit for 8996 instead of 8990, although in practical terms they are the same course]
- Q394 (Creative Writing): ENGL 7130 (Fiction Writing) OR ENGL 7140 (Poetry Writing)
- Q395 (Medieval and Renaissance Writing): ENGL 7150 (Studies in Medieval Literature) or ENGL 7160 (Early Modern Studies)
- Q396 (Eighteenth Century Writing and Romanticism): ENGL 7170 (Eighteenth Century Studies)
- Q397 (American Studies): ENGL 7190 (American Studies)
- Q398 (Postmodern Writing): ENGL 7210 (Contemporary Literature and Culture)
- W991 (Scriptwriting): ENGL 7870 (Special Topics in English)
No additional tuition costs or fees beyond regular Auburn tuition and fees for that semester. Students will pay for their own lodging, transportation, and meals on-site. Students will continue to earn their Auburn GTA stipend while abroad; students are also eligible for additional funding through the Office of International Programs and the Graduate School.
Aberystwyth University, founded in 1872 as the University of Wales Aberystwyth, is a traditional, campus based university. The university is located on the shores of Cardigan Bay in mid Wales, United Kingdom.
PASSPORT AND VISA REQUIREMENTS
If you do not have a PASSPORT: Please check www.travel.state.gov for the nearest local passport office and forms. Auburn Abroad recommends that you apply for a passport as soon as possible. If you already have a passport: Please check the expiration date. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months following your scheduled time abroad.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
- Visit the International Aberystwyth website.
- Contact the Faculty Director listed at the top of the page for program specific information.