Liberal Arts Internships
in Brussels, Belgium
Study and intern in Brussels! This study and internship program is based at Vesalius College, where you will experience the best of both worlds: the individualized support of a liberal arts college and the resources of a major university. Vesalius College and their affiliate, Vrija Universiteit Brussel, offer a full suite of services including three research libraries, health services, dining halls, athletic facilities (swimming pool, climbing wall, squash courts), free psychological counseling, as well as homestay and housing placements.
The Vesalius Internship Program allows your to apply classroom theories to real work. By completing an internship during your study abroad experience, you can prove to future employers that you are motivated, able to balance commitments, and have experience in an international and multicultural setting. As part of this program, you can also earn a Vesalius College certificate in European Peace and Security Studies (EPSS) at no extra cost.
Students studying at Vesalius College can take advantage of an extensive network of internship sites, offering mostly placements in a variety of international organizations:
- European Disability Forum
- Ernst & Young
- EU Observer
- ...and many more
Resources for further program information:
Dates Abroad: January 20 – May 15
Spring Semester 2020
- Nov 2019: First half of Program Fee due to Bursar
- Nov 2019:Withdrawal less 25% penalty + $250
- Nov 2019:Withdrawal less 50% penalty + $250
- Dec 2019: Second half of Program Fee due to Bursar
- Dec 2019: No refund after this date
Fall Semester 2019
Dates Abroad: August 22 - December 14
- 25 June 2019: First half of Program Fee due to Bursar
- After 25 June: Withdrawal less 25% penalty + $250
- 27 July 2019: Second half of Program Fee due to Bursar
- After 27 July: Withdrawal less 50% penalty + $250
- 31 July 2019: No refund after this date
Students will be enrolled in three or four courses in addition to their part-time internship. Refer to the list of courses on the Vesalius College Academic Information page and contact the Auburn Faculty Director for current course offerings. Please note that students must complete the course approval form as part of their application to determine the Auburn course credit equivalency.
Course Schedule Spring 2020 - Vesalius College VUB
PROGRAM COST AND PAYMENT INFORMATION
Program Cost: $15,000. Students will also be charged the Auburn Abroad Fee of $691.
- Part-time internship placement
- Choice of contextual courses for up to 12 credits for the semesters
- Tuition and course fees
- Arrival Program Orientation
- Library and computer labs access
- Access to athletic facilities.
- Housing (see Accommodations below)
At Vesalius College, a number of different housing options are available for incoming study abroad students:
- Homestay with a Host Family.
- Personalized assistance to secure independent housing placement.
- Independent housing arranged by the student.
Brussels is the heart of European business and politics. It is home to the EU and over 1,700 corporations have their European headquarters there. The cuisine is spectacular: chocolate, waffles, fries, and mussels. What more do you need? Foreign nationals make up 30% of Brussels' population. 183 nationalities and 108 languages are represented in the city. With a variety of museums, galleries, and a vibrant music scene, there is always something to do. On your way to class, walk past everything from 1600s Baroque to modern EU buildings with art deco and nouveau architectural heritage. Paris and London are only 90 minutes away by high speed train for weekend explorations. Plus, most major European cities are less than two hours away by plane from Brussels airport.
PASSPORT AND VISA REQUIREMENTS
If you do not have a PASSPORT: Please check www.travel.state.gov for the nearest local passport office and forms. Application for a United States passport should be made at least 120 days in advance of your departure date. Auburn Abroad recommends that you apply for a passport as soon as you know you are participating in the program. If you already have a passport: Please check the expiration date. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months following your scheduled time abroad.
FOR MORE INFORMATION