Mediterranean Diet Tour
Students will learn about the health benefits associated with consumption of the Mediterranean Diet and be provided an opportunity to participate in a field based learning experience on the Mediterranean Diet in Italy. The course is a collaborative effort between Auburn University and the Gustolab Institute in Rome, Italy.
- Students must be in good standing at Auburn University
- Students must have taken BIOL 1030 or equivalent class
- 2.8 minimum GPA for undergraduate students
- 3.0 minimum GPA for graduate students
- 08 February 2019: Program Application and Scholarship Deadline
- 01 March 2019: First Payment Due
- 05 April 2019: Final Payment Due
- TBD: Depart for Italy
- TBD: Depart for USA
The courses that are offered as part of this program are NTRI 5380 (4 credits)
The cost of this program is estimated at $6300. This cost does not include airfare or the Auburn Abroad Fee ($657). Please see the following link for more detailed information: Mediterranean Diet Tour.Budget.2018.pdf
Housing and arrangements will be made by the Gustolab Institute. Students will be staying in shared apartments in the Prati neighborhood of Rome. The Prati neighborhood is next to the Vatican and is a 15-20 min walk to the Gustolab classrooms. Rome is a walking city, so students should expect to walk everyday while in Rome.
Excursions in and around Rome, Italy (approx. 14 days)
- Wine and cheese tasting
- Wine tour
- Olive oil production tour
- Cheese production
- Food Markets shopping
- Food visits: bakery, milk production, Kilometro 0 restaurants and food shops, gelato, Ancient Rome food tour, Wine in Rome ( enoteca regionale Lazio), food traditions, teaching with food, healthy lifestyle and cooking
- Historical site visits (Roman Forum, Colosseum and Palatine Hill; Domus Romane Digital; Galleria Borghese; and Vatican Museum)
Excursions in Sicily (approx. 7 days)
- Mediterranean diet museum and Ancel Keys library visit
- Nuts farm tour
- Buffalo Mozzarella Farm
- Regional Experimental Farm in Campania
- Campania focus cooking class
- Lunch - seafood lunch
- Lunch - med diet traditional recipes menu
- pizza dinner
- original cilento menu dinner
- minerva garden in Salerno visit
- Meeting with the fisherman
- beach or water park visit
PASSPORT AND VISA REQUIREMENTS
If you do not have a PASSPORT: Please check http://travel.state.gov for the nearest local passport office and forms. Auburn Abroad recommends that you apply for a passport as soon as possible. If you already have a passport: Please check the expiration date. Passports should be valid for at least 6 months following your scheduled time abroad.
- U.S. Citizens do not need a visa for this program.
- Non-U.S. Citizens should verify visa requirements.
FOR MORE INFORMATION